You will also discuss how you will be joining First Presbyterian. There are three methods by which members join the Church. If you are a new Christian, have never been baptized and are not a member of a Church currently, you will join by Profession of Faith and be baptized into Christ's Church. If you are a Christian and are a member of a Church that is not part of our affiliation (The Presbyterian Church in America), you will join by Reaffirmation of Faith. If you are a member of a Church within The Presbyterian Church in America, you will join by Transfer of Church Letter.
Step Three - Meet with the Session
After meeting with the Minister you will be invited to a Session meeting. At this meeting you will have an opportunity to meet the Elders of the Church, take your membership vows, and officially become a member of the Church. The membership vows are:
1. Do you acknowledge yourself to be a sinner in the sight of God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope save in His sovereign mercy?
2. Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and rest upon Him alone for salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
3. Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes the followers of Christ?
4. Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and work to the best of your ability?
5. Do you submit yourself to the government and discipline of the Church, and promise to study its purity and peace?
Step Four - Be Introduced to the Congregation
On the next Sunday following the meeting with the Session, all of the new members will be introduced to the rest of the First Presbyterian family at the worship service.
First Presbyterian Church welcomes all who wish to worship, grow, and follow our Lord together by becoming members of our Church. If you have questions or would simply like to discuss membership our Minister, please do not hesitate to contact our office and make an appointment. Membership is a four step process at First Presbyterian.
Step One - Attend a New Member Class
These classes are offered through out the year. It is an informal class that will give you a view of Christianity, First Presbyterian Church, and your place as a member.
Step Two - Meet with the Minister
After you have completed the New Member Class you will meet with our Minister to discuss any questions you may have about membership. This is also an opportunity for you to talk to our Minister about your faith and your commitment to Christianity.